Five Things I’m Grateful For:
- Wife really enjoyed the anniversary present I made her.
- I have had a slightly physically exhausting day the last 2 days, and I actually feel pretty good about it. First week I’ve gone over 200 active minutes I think since I got my watch. There might have been 1 day hiking when I was carrying my daughter 2 years ago.
- I decided to buy 2 burritos for myself today rather than just one.
- I met up with Beth for lunch, a walk, and interesting discussion.
- I built a pretty cool calculator. I’d love to figure out how to turn it into a web calculator.
- Grateful I have such flexibility with my time during the workday.
- Happiness 60% 60%
- Time Usage 90% 90%
- Physical Activity Lately 65% 65%
Number of hours spent on my CR calculator
I have tried to find a way to connect your google sheet to Power BI a couple of times.
I recently connected Power BI directly to a spreadsheet in Google’s Excel alternative, Google Sheets. It’s important to connect to data without moving it when we can. The less we have to export/download, save, rename, move, massage, etc. the better.
Here’s how we’ll connect to a Google Sheet:
- Get “no sign-in required”/anonymous share URL from Google Docs
- Adjust URL for Power BI
- Connect to “Web” data source in Power BI, using adjusted URL
Get anonymous share link from Google Docs
To get started, open your Google doc/sheet and click “Share.” If you don’t see “anyone (no sign-in required)” or something similar, click “More.” Then select “On – Anyone with the Link.” Copy the resulting URL.
Adjust URL for Power BI
- Paste the URL into Notepad, or a similar, simple text editor.
- Remove /edit?usp=sharing from the URL and add /export?format=xlsx&id= in its place
- Copy the ID between /d/ and /export… (see red box below)
- Paste the ID at the end of the URL (see green box below)
Connect to Google Sheet in Power BI
1. Get Data > Web
2. Paste your adjusted URL and click OK.
As long as you used the correct Google Sheet share link (anyone with the link can view), you’ll see your data ready to load or transform as usual in the Navigator screen. If you get an error, double-check the share link type.